Friday 16 August 2013

Royal Hospital Haslar, Portsmouth. May 2013


From approaching the site we soon realised gaining access wasn't going to be too easy.
Being an old millitary hospital it's pretty secure and we chose to go early Sunday morning when the coastline was full of fisherman and couples taking a morning stroll.
None the less with some perseverance we found ourselves where we needed to be.

Thanks to Skeleton Key on gaining access to one of the buildings I got a smack to the face from a large window and completely tore a hole in my gum and for a moment I swear I'd lost a tooth.
Laughing it off we made our way into the main hospital building teeth still in tact.I swear he was getting me back for a previous encounter were I'd knocked his tooth out with my tripod (sorry SK haha)

This place completely blew my mind! There's just insane amounts of equipment laying around. Large x-ray machines, operating theatre lights and even a few CT scanners. It's crazy that they didn't get transferred to another hospital. Not sure how much of the hospital we covered in the 4 hours we spent there but I know there is definitely more to see.

A quick history stolen from Wikipedia:
'Founded in the reign of King George I, the Royal Hospital Haslar in Gosport, Hampshire, was one of several hospitals serving the Portsmouth Urban Area, but had previously been the country's foremost - and ultimately last - military hospital. Its military status was withdrawn in 2007, and those military personnel remaining joined the Ministry of Defence Hospital Unit (MDHU Portsmouth) at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham, Portsmouth. In the summer of 2009, all remaining (civilian) medical services at Haslar were relocated to the Queen Alexandra Hospital, and the site was subsequently sold.'





















1 comment: